Defense Standardization Program Charter
The Defense Standardization Program (DSP) is established by DoD Instruction 4120.24, Defense Standardization Program (DSP) External Link, which establishes policy and assigns responsibilities for the DSP pursuant to sections 2451, 2452 and 2457 of title 10, United States Code and establishes the Charter for the Defense Standardization Council. DoD Instruction 4120.24 also authorizes DoD Manual 4120.24, Defense Standardization Program (DSP) Procedures.
Organization and Responsibilities
- The Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology, & Logistics) provides overall policy guidance for the DSP and appoints the Defense Standardization Executive.
- The Defense Standardization Executive has authority over all functions of the DSP, chairs the Defense Standardization Council (DSC), and acts as the Standardization Executive for those DoD Components without a designated Standardization Executive.
- The Director, Defense Standardization Program Office (DSPO), serves as the DoD Executive Agent for the DSP and publishes DoD Manual 4120.24. DSPO supports the Defense Standardization Executive, carries out the day-to-day management of the DSP, and promulgates DSP policies and procedures. DSPO acts as the Executive Secretariat for the DSC; chairs meetings with the Departmental Standardization Offices; and interacts with other federal agencies, defense treaty organizations, and non-government standards bodies on standards policy.
DSPO is poised to ensure the mission of DSP is accomplished by maintaining multiple networks, foreign and domestic, as well as with subject matter experts from DoD Components, federal agencies and industry to engage on materiel standardization matters. Many of DSPO's projects and initiatives fall within the following core program areas:
- Diminishing Manufacturing Sources and Material Shortages (DMSMS)
- Government-Industry Data Exchange Program (GIDEP)
- International Standardization
- Joint Standardization Boards
- Standardization for MOSA
- Non-Government Standards
- Parts Management
- Item Reduction